Causes of Water Damage to Commercial Buildings
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400
While it's true that commercial water damage is often the result of floods and water that stems from weather events and storms, severe weather isn't the only cause of water damage to your business. Here are some of the typical causes of water damage to commercial buildings.
- Malfunctioning sprinkler systems: Some older office and retail buildings still have outdated sprinkler systems that work in conjunction with fire protection systems. While such sprinklers can come in handy during a fire emergency, they can also cause commercial flood damage if they are faulty or in need of replacement. This could easily damage inventory and business assets.
- Damaged appliances and equipment: This cause of commercial flood damage is more common in restaurants and catering facilities, as well as any business that has appliances and equipment that make use of water. If the appliance fails and sends water across your building, especially during late hours when no one is around, you may come back to work and face a water emergency.
- Broken pipes and plumbing: Just like in a residence, if the plumbing system in your workplace fails water damage could be the result.
- Backed up sewer lines: This is another cause of commercial water damage that often catches business owners by surprise. Should the sewer line to your building back up or become damaged, realize the potential dangers of contaminated Black Water which can cause health effects and ruin products and office furnishings.
If your business has suffered commercial water damage, SERVPRO of Metrocrest will get you back up and running again and make it “Like it never even happened." (972) 233-8400
SERVPRO of Metrocrest and the Hospitality Industry
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest for your water mitigation needs (972) 233-8400.
At SERVPRO of Metrocrest we understand that keeping your guests satisfied is your top priority, and you can rest assured that you are ours. When disaster strikes at a hospitality facility, the help of a specialized team is critical in assuring that normal operations resume as quickly and safely as possible. We will make it “Like it never even happened."
Whether the cause is a coat hanger on a sprinkler head or a natural disaster, we work to efficiently isolate the damaged area so that basic functions can continue normally, and guests can enjoy your services with minimal impact. Our professionals are trained to work with your management and maintenance teams to prioritize spaces and make sure that all areas are restored to your complete satisfaction. Our experience in the hospitality industry has given us the ability to provide a variety of detailed services for the following hospitality facilities:
- Convention Centers
- Entertainment Venues
- Banquet Halls
SERVPRO of Metrocrest specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. We can handle any size disaster big or small! Call the ones that care, call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400.
October is Fire Prevention Month! Do You Have A Plan?
A home in Irving, Texas that suffered a fire damage
- In 2014, fires caused 2,745 deaths, 11,825 injuries, and $6.8 billion in property damage.
- Three out of five house fire deaths happen in homes with no or non-working smoke alarms.
- Working smoke alarms cut the risk of dying in half in reported home fires.
- In fires large enough to activate the smoke alarm, hardwired alarms operated 94% of the time, while battery powered alarms operated 80% of the time.
- When smoke alarms fail to operate, it is usually because batteries are missing, disconnected, or dead.
- One quarter of house fire deaths start in the bedroom. Another quarter start in the living room, family room or den.
- One third of surveyed respondents thought they would have at least 6 minutes before a fire in their home would become life-threatening. The time is often much less. Only 8% said their first thought on hearing a smoke alarm would be to get out.
CAN YOU EXIT IN UNDER 2 MINUTES?
Fire experts agree, people have as little as 2 minutes to escape a burning home before it's too late to get out. Increase your chance of surviving by ensuring you have working smoke detectors in place, building an escape plan, and then practicing the plan. The following are a few suggestions to help you develop an emergency escape plan.
- Draw a mapof each level of your home and show all doors and windows. Find two ways to get out of each room. Make sure all doors and windows that lead outside open easily.
- Consider escape laddersfor sleeping areas on the 2nd and 3rd floors. Store them near the window where they will be used.
- Choose an outside meeting placea safe distance in front of your house. Make sure to make the location of the meeting place on your escape plan.
- Teach childrenhow to escape on their own in case you cannot help them. Plan for everyone in your home with special considerations for elderly or disabled individuals.
- Practice your fire escape planduring the day and nighttime.
Escape Planning for Your Business
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) recommends building an emergency action plan to protect yourself, your employees, and your business during an emergency. OSHA suggests the following steps when developing such a plan:
- Organize an Emergency Preparedness Procedures review with employees to go over your company's emergency plan.
- Once a plan is developed, post evacuation procedures, including routes and exits where they are easily accessible to all employees. Ensure all exits and routes are clearly marked and well lit, wide enough to accommodate the number of evacuating personnel, and unobstructed and clear of debris always.
- Conduct office evacuation exercises and drills. Designate a safe spot outside of the facility where employees can regroup, recover and conduct a headcount.
If your home or office suffers from a fire, call the professionals of SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400.
Fire Damage Restoration Tips
If you have fire damage in your home or business, it's essential to call in fire damage professionals. They know exactly what to do to properly address fire loss, soot damage, smoke damage and serious issues like air quality degradation. Plus, it's important to act quickly. Sometimes the water used to put out fire in home or fire in business or to limit commercial fire damage can become a breeding ground for mold. This can lead to dangerous health problems. That's why it's essential to call in a licensed fire damage restoration company as soon as possible after there's a fire in home or a fire in business.
Once the fire in your home or business is out and you're sure everyone is safe, you should contact your insurance company. They can provide guidance on what steps to take to get your fire loss, soot damage and smoke damage addressed. Whether you had a fire in home, fire in business or suffered commercial fire damage, following the proper fire cleanup process is essential. Your insurance company can suggest several licensed, experienced, reputable fire cleanup companies, like SERVPRO of Metrocrest, to begin taking care of any fire damage, smoke damage or soot damage you may have. They will also test the air quality and let you know when it's safe to return.
When you have a fire in home, fire in business or commercial fire damage, it's essential to deal with licensed, experienced fire cleanup companies, such as SERVPRO of Metrocrest. They have the necessary tools, equipment and specially trained personnel to quickly and effectively assess and repair fire damage, smoke damage, soot damage, commercial fire damage and air quality issues. Many insurance companies will not cover the cost of fire cleanup if it's not handled by a licensed, certified fire damage cleanup company. Repairing commercial fire damage or damage caused by fire in home or fire in business can leave people in financial ruin if the insurance company does not cover those costs.
If it is not handled properly, even a seemingly minor fire in home or fire in business can be an unmitigated disaster. The fire damage, smoke damage and soot damage can lead to air quality issues or more costly repairs if not handled quickly and properly. The smell of smoke can permeate walls and furnishings and end up requiring extensive and expensive work to address it. Your fire loss can end up being a lot greater than necessary if the fire cleanup is not done right. Many unscrupulous people attempt to prey on home or business owners that have suffered a fire loss. Make sure you are not one of them. Only deal with licensed, reputable fire loss companies like SERVPRO of Metrocrest.
The decisions you make in the hours immediately after you suffer a fire loss will decide how well and how soon the repairs will be made, the air quality in the structure will be safe enough for you to return and how much of your repair and restoration costs your insurance company will cover. Visit https://www.SERVPROmetrocrest.com/fire-smoke-damage-restoration for more information on fire damage.
What Causes Commercial Water Damage?
If your business or commercial building has a water damage, call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400.
Most commercial property owners in Addison, Tx assume their property can only suffer significant water damage during torrential downpours and rare flooding from rainstorms. While this can be true, weather like this is few and far between in the Dallas area.
The most common commercial water damage disasters happen from the following:
1.) Sprinkler systems
Some office and retail buildings still have outdated sprinkler systems that work with fire protection systems. While these sprinklers can come in handy during a fire emergency, they can also cause commercial flood damage if they need replacement.
2.) Appliances and Equipment
We see this most often in restaurants and catering halls, as well as businesses that have appliances and equipment that make use of water. If the appliance falls and sends water across your building, especially on a Friday afternoon when no one is in until Monday morning, you may come in to face a water emergency! Unfortunately, that happens A LOT!!
3.) Broken pipes and plumbing
Just like in residential properties, if the plumbing system in your workplace fails, water damage could happen!
If your business or commercial property is suffering from commercial water damage, SERVPRO of Metrocrest is here to get you back up and running. Call us at (972) 233-8400 and we will make it “Like it never even happened.”
Emergency Water Damage Tips For Your Coppell, TX Property
If you have an unexpected water damage, call the company that cares, call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400.
The first thing you should do if you have an unexpected water damage is call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400. We are here to help 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
While waiting for SERVPRO of Metrocrest to arrive you may want to:
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT to do:
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. Keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 for all your emergency water removal needs. Our certified technicians are here to make it “Like it never even happened.”
When Unexpected Storm Damage Ruins Your Home
If your home has unexpected storm damage, call SERVPRO of Metrocrest for your water mitigation needs. (972) 233-8400.
Here in the Dallas, Tx area, we do not often have severe weather. But residential storm damage does happen each year. If mother nature takes its toll and damages your property, use these 7 tips for cleaning up after a storm and call SERVPRO of Metrocrest to help!
- Get Protective Clothing. Prior to going inside your home, it is imperative that you wear protective boots, clothing, gloves, eye protection, and a mask. Flood waters carry sewage, bacteria and chemical compounds that may be dangerous.
- Document the Damage. To help with insurance claims, you really need to document the damage as soon as it is safe to do so. Take photos and videos of your home from each angle. Make sure to get exterior and interior photos.
- Water Extraction. Flood water contains potentially dangerous bacteria, rodents, and insects. Call the certified professionals at SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 to handle the water extraction.
- Open Windows. Circulating fresh air is an important step for cleaning up after flood damage and preventing mold growth.
- Remove Personal Items. Furniture, clothing, and other items in the house can be removed to speed the drying. Prior to throwing away damaged items, take photographs, and have them evaluated to see if they can be cleaned and restored.
- Remove Carpeting, Wet Drywall, and Insulation. If the storm water contains sewage, which many floods do, the flooring in the home will probably have to be removed. Drywall and insulation that has been touched by flood waters and saturated will also have to be removed. This helps prevent future mold growth.
- Scrub Every Surface. Each surface should be scrubbed with a powerful disinfectant. Your local SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is always ready to inspect, extract water, disinfect, dehumidify, and restore your home quickly.
Water Damage Tip
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest(972) 233-8400 for your water mitigation needs.
Did you know by waiting too long before you react to a water loss can put a big strain on your budget? You can mistakenly cause a minor water damage to go from a simple job and covered loss, to large non salvage-demolition job. By delaying water mitigation, you can also compromise your coverage. Most insurance policies say it is the insured's responsibility to mitigate.
If you have a minor water leak, chances are we can come in and dry everything in-place. By waiting, after 48 hours it is more likely that we will have to remove baseboards at a minimum and many floor coverings may not be salvageable at the point.
After waiting several days of not mitigating, chances are, we are going to need to remove all wet porous materials like drywall. This could impact cabinets and countertops or tiled walls and most floor coverings at this point are non-salvageable.
Act fast, by calling SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 as soon as you learn of your water damage. We work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to ensure you are taken care of and we will make it “Like it never even happened."
What You Need To Know About Fire Damage In the North Dallas Area
We are always here to help! (972) 233-8400
Commercial or residential fire damage causes tremendous problems to your home or business. Even if your fire is relatively small, there can be hidden consequences. That's where we come in. SERVPRO of Metrocrest is a tried, trusted and true fire restoration experts, we are here to help you get your home or business back in shape.
Before our certified technicians can begin repairs, we will survey the property and assess the damage. We do a thorough inspection, so that we can provide you with plans for the best path forward. During this time, we will answer any questions you may have about the fire cleanup process.
Once we complete our inspection, we will discuss proper procedures and a schedule. Our experts here at SERVPRO of Metrocrest will prepare our equipment, close off the area, and make all necessary preparations for cleaning.
One of most difficult parts of any fire clean-up job is properly removing the odor in the area. Burnt odors often linger in the air, causing damage to the property's surface on a microscopic level. We use advanced cleaning technology and products to permanently remove the presence of all odors in the area.
Once the burnt sections of the property are removed and the odors have been treated, we move on to the last step of addressing the fire damage. If there is any structural damage to the property, we will begin the rebuild process.
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 for all your fire restoration needs. We are here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!
What To Do AFTER The Fire
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest for your fire restoration needs
Becoming a victim of a fire loss is never on anyone's list of 'to do's', but when or if it does happen to you or a loved one - it's good to have a checklist of what you need to do right away:
After the fire - your first call should be to your insurance agent to get the claim process rolling.
Next - you should locate or start replacement of:
- driver’s license
- insurance policies
- military discharge papers
- birth, death, marriage certificates
- social security or medical cards
- credit cards
- titles to deeds
- stocks and bonds
- medical records
- finance & income tax records
- citizenship papers
- mortgage papers
Know your coverage as most policies will cover temporary living expenses in addition to coverage of your home and contents. The mitigation and restoration process can take months - depending upon the extent of the fire, smoke and odor damage to your property.
SERVPRO of Metorcrest Mitigation Process
1.Board-up/Secure the Property
3.Storage of Content
4.Disposal of Wet/Burned Content
5.Dehumidification of Structure
6.Mitigation of Smoke and Odor
7.Preparation for Re-Construction
8.Restoration vs Replace
Call SERVPRO of Metrocrest for your fire restoration needs. (972) 233-8400