Mold Prevention during the winter months
The wet season in the winter months is one of the best times of the year for molds to grow and expand. Often mold is contained near sources of water where it can easily grow and reproduce. As it grows, mold can breakdown and compromise the integrity and strength of the source in which it lives.
Prevention will help keep it at bay in your home.
- Keep all areas clean
- Make sure there is good air circulation
- Prevent mold and water damage by turning off the water flow to broken appliances and pipes.
- Replace cracked or defective mortar. If you find wet areas, inspect the outside drainage system.
- Spread moisture – barrier materials in crawl spaces over the sail. Heavy roofing paper or plastic film made of polyethylene can be used for this. Make sure there is good ventilation in the crawl space and if possible do not enclose it.
- One can get rid of humidity or dampness within a building or home by heating it for a short time. After heating, open up the doors and windows, or use an exhaust fan to let out the air that is moist.
- Hire a professional roofing contractor to cover a damaged roof with a tarp.
- If there are freezing temperatures, take measures to insulate pipes, inside and out to ensure they will not crack or bust.
- Make sure all theseals on the windows and doors are not compromised and in good working condition.
- Clean and repair roof gutters regularly
- Make sure the ground around your building slopes away from the foundation so water does not colleact around or enter into it.
- Act quickly if you see condensation on windows, pipes, or walls inside a building
- call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400.
Follow us on Twitter @SERVPRO9498
And Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SERVPROofmetrocrest/
Highly Trained Restoration Specialists
Our SERVPRO Professionals are highly trained in property restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO's Corporate Training Facility to regular IICRC industry certifications, our Professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. The SERVPRO training program includes the follow:
- IICRC Training
- Employee Certification Training
- Initial Franchise Training
- Continuing Education Classes