When Unexpected Storm Damage Ruins Your Home
Here in the Dallas, Tx area, we do not often have severe weather. But residential storm damage does happen each year. If mother nature takes its toll and damages your property, use these 7 tips for cleaning up after a storm and call SERVPRO of Metrocrest to help!
- Get Protective Clothing. Prior to going inside your home, it is imperative that you wear protective boots, clothing, gloves, eye protection, and a mask. Flood waters carry sewage, bacteria and chemical compounds that may be dangerous.
- Document the Damage. To help with insurance claims, you really need to document the damage as soon as it is safe to do so. Take photos and videos of your home from each angle. Make sure to get exterior and interior photos.
- Water Extraction. Flood water contains potentially dangerous bacteria, rodents, and insects. Call the certified professionals at SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 to handle the water extraction.
- Open Windows. Circulating fresh air is an important step for cleaning up after flood damage and preventing mold growth.
- Remove Personal Items. Furniture, clothing, and other items in the house can be removed to speed the drying. Prior to throwing away damaged items, take photographs, and have them evaluated to see if they can be cleaned and restored.
- Remove Carpeting, Wet Drywall, and Insulation. If the storm water contains sewage, which many floods do, the flooring in the home will probably have to be removed. Drywall and insulation that has been touched by flood waters and saturated will also have to be removed. This helps prevent future mold growth.
- Scrub Every Surface. Each surface should be scrubbed with a powerful disinfectant. Your local SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400 is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and is always ready to inspect, extract water, disinfect, dehumidify, and restore your home quickly.