Mold Prevention Tips
Mold can grow in several places in your home, some areas are obvious while others may be the farthest from your mind. Mold prevention is accomplished with thorough inspections of all areas of your home on a regular basis. It only takes 24-48 hours for mold to grow and to start causing issues. Being proactive and checking all areas in your home can save you time, energy, and dollars. Know where your moisture points are and be sure to dry them regularly. Fix any leaks that you find and use proper ventilation throughout your home. These small mold prevention tips will go a long way in keeping your home healthy and safe from mold.
- Keep humidity levels as low as you can—no higher than 50%–all day long. An air conditioner or dehumidifier will help you keep the level low. Bear in mind that humidity levels change over the course of a day with changes in the moisture in the air and the air temperature, so you will need to check the humidity levels more than once a day.
- Be sure your home has enough ventilation. Use exhaust fans which vent outside your home in the kitchen and bathroom. Make sure your clothes dryer vents outside your home.
- Fix any leaks in your home’s roof, walls, or plumbing so mold does not have moisture to grow.
- Clean up and dry out your home thoroughly and quickly (within 24–48 hours) after flooding.
- Add mold inhibitors to paints before painting.
- Clean bathrooms with mold-killing products.
- Remove or replace carpets and upholstery that have been soaked and cannot be dried promptly. Consider not using carpet in rooms or areas like bathrooms that may have a lot of moisture.
If you think your home might have mold (you’re seeing it or smelling it), call SERVPRO of Metrocrest (972) 233-8400, we are certified in mold remediation. We are always here to help!